Whenever I heard the one about "God never gives us more than we can bear" the accompanying thought that always came to me as a CG to my son, was "God, are you sure about that? Do you really know me?" The bible has been translated over and over so many times, with things left out or added in to "modernize" it and to fit many different religions, it is no wonder it has stayed as popular as it has for so many who refer to it for inspiration or to prove whatever point they want to make. As a former teacher and translator of medical research documents, I knew how important it was to be able to translate the thoughts of the speaker (or writer) and not just the words. In effect, we are at the mercy of the translator when referring to any translated document. Personally, my "bible" was OCF. This is where I came (and still do) for my inspiration, practical help and compassion. Just to be on the safe side, though - I do resort to prayer. IMO, whatever works, DO it!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)