I introduced myself 3 days ago (thank you Gabe for telling me about this site) and of course have been reading the posts ever since. This is the one I keep returning to. I cringe when I think of my own behaviour a mere few months ago but generally this thread lifts my spirits and gives me a laugh. Whilst I haven't had as many experiences as many others here, as Alex's carer, there are some gems coming my way already.

Things MY Mother says
"You must be so stressed" - well yes, but I'll have my nervous breakdown later when Alex is through his treatment thanks
Things HIS Mother says
"How about I come over and stay with you?" we love her but, NO
Things I say to Alex
"Look on the bright side" when his head is hanging off the end of the bed and getting up to go to the bathroom requires planning
"What flavour yoghurt do you want?" - like asking a blind man what colour he wants his house painted. Duh!
Things well meaning colleagues say
"Fatigue? At least he can sleep all day - he doesn't have to work or anything does he?"

and finally harping back to one of the original posts from well meaning friends - not "how aaarre you?" thrown out to you survivors, but "how are yoouuu?" asked of us carers - surely they don't know what they are asking and don't realise the English language doesn't have the words.

Now onto the thread about things I love ...

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight