Patty

Scans are not always necessary or do any good. Despite the hype on PET Scans, none of mine came even close to showing the recurrence of the tumor - only the MRI picked it up as a possibility. I just had another PET scan but that was to stage the CyberKnife radiation sequence, not to check on the Cancer.
My ENT surgeon was and remains better at just looking and poking in finding the cancer than any PETscan, MRI or CT I have had. Erbitux did not do much good for me so it's Carboplatin this time around. I am amazed at how much IMRT radiation sessions your signature line shows. It's a real bitch to have radiation resistant cancer which forces us to surgery. Another doctor is a great idea as they can order up a MRI or CT for you and probably your best option if your current doctor will not reconsider
Sorry to hear about the drainage and wound issues, the frozen petrified neck is not pleasant either. I am now doing "scar massage" on the advice of my physical therapist as well as the plastic surgeon's resident. Nothing fancy or complicated: I will post it in the general section if you are interested
Good Luck and hang in there. It gets so depressing to have the cancer back after all we suffered. As Brian indicates on the summary of this thread, it is a very hard hand to be dealt.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13