These are the notes that my sister used to explain all of this to my folks yesterday after after I saw the Oncologist. I am looking at a second opinion, although my doctors know me well and I trust them. I would not want to get tricked into doing something that would make me feel terrible for the time I have left. See Bran Hill's Post June 13, 2002.

Today I met with Dr. Mary Bretscher. She is my Oncologist. This is the information that needs to be shared:
My cancer has returned.
It is not curable.
The goal is to have the best quality of life possible.
If Clinical Trials are going to detract from the quality of life you should not do them. There is no clinical trial with this type of assurance and I will not be pursuing one.
Erbitux treatments on a weekly basis will help with white blood counts and possibly reduce the tumor size but there are no guarantees. This is a temporary treatment and is not a cure for the cancer. There will be a time when it no longer works.
Memorial Home Care has been contacted to set up night feeding assistance to help maintain strength and meet feeding needs.
Hospice is being contacted and arranged when needed. I have chosen to stay at home and not go into the hospital.
I asked what time frame we were to plan for, and the answer is months.
Carolyn and I will be planning and making arrangements through an attorney over the course of the next few weeks.
I am grateful for any help that anyone wants to offer. Email is the best way to contact me. Right now I am very tired and trying to get as much rest as possible. I want to enjoy as much of this time as I can and even though I may be tired I can still be happy.

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace