Geri,
The sore throat and mouth sores are more often caused by the chemo than the radiation (especially early in treatment - the radiation side effect problems typically occur later in treatment). I was about 3 weeks into it when it started. Some here have reported a sore throat in the first week.

I just got caught up on the threads and had a few other comments:

They have fiddled quite a bit with treatment protocols. The NCCN Oncology Practice Guidelines, in 2003, when I started treatment were Cisplatin X3, every three weeks with the first application starting on the first day of radiation. They had very good (efficacious) results from this treatment protocol (although the toxicity from the Cisplatin was pretty brutal). Then they started experimenting with weekly, smaller doses of Cisplatin and also with hyperfractional RT treatments, in other words twice a day instead of once a day, but in smaller doses. Initial reports have been favorable for the new protocol and more institutions are using it. It's not so much that the odds of beating the cancer are improved as much as the side effects may be mitigated a little. But as has often been stated, we all respond differently to treatment.

I was scheduled for X3 Cisplatin ct but reacted so poorly (or conversely, so well) after the second one that they decided not to go with #3. I also read somewhere that 2X Cisplatin was as effective as X3. It obviously worked for me as I am almost 6 years cancer free now. Most MO's are adamant about completing all of the prescribed treatment protocols however. There is strong evidence to support that persons not completing their treatment prototcol have worse outcomes. Conversely, the radiation IS the primary treatment modality and the Cisplatin is an adjunct to it. It has been reported that tha addition of Cisplatin can improve survival odds and additional 13-15% over radiation alone.

Constipation: I have no experience with Emend but I don't believe that the anti-emetics will cause it. It's the narcotics that are the main culprit for that. Staying well hydrated is key for constipation management as well as Senekot with stool softeners and also speak with your nutritionist. Preparation H will also help. It can be managed - usually better. Honestly it was one of my worst experiences in the whole tratment process. It can also cause nausea and vomiting when homeostatis is stopped. It is important to get a handle on it. I spent more time curled up in a fetal position on the bathroom floor as a result of the constipation than any other reason.

Watch that temperature - if if exceeds 100.5 degrees call your doctor or go to the ER immediately.

Another tip for you, if he is dehydrated, make an appointment and get rehydrated in the infusion unit rather than going to the ER. It's twice as fast and twice as comfortable.

Also, Ciplatin does a number on the stomach so he should also be taking Famatodine (Pepcid AC).

All of this is still a simplistic way of looking at and describing the treatment protocols as cancer is a complex and multidimensional disease.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)