Geri,

I did not have serious effects from the first dose of Cisplatin. After about a week I began to have significant taste issues and it was pretty much gone by 2-3 weeks out. The Cisplatin enhances the effects of the radiation treatment and I found the overall treatment to be cumulative. That is to say that I was much more affected towards the end of treatment. After about 2-3 weeks I started coming home from my morning to early afternoon treatment (I accomodated the schedule at Stanford) and took a nap. The combined treatments made me very tired and I slept a lot to get through.

I did not get a PEG tube so can not share any experience in that regard. Eating was very difficult but I survived on Skandi shakes enhanced with protein powder and yogurt. I lost 35 pounds over the course of the treatment. In addition, I lost a lot of muscle but have replaced it all (and more) through a diligent exercise regimen.

Prior to treatment my Radiation Oncologist at Stanford suggested I get any metal fillings in the lower jaw replaced with epoxy. Insurance did not pay for this but I had it done in order to help prevent damage to the rest of my mouth. She told me it would "help to keep your tongue happy" and I believe she was correct.

I know this is a stressful time and the prospect of the treatment can seem daunting, but you can and will get through it. Please feel free to send any questions you may have. Where is he getting treated?

Enjoy the Holidays! You will get through this.

Frank

SCC Right Tonsil Dx 2/25/2008 at age 43
T1N2B M0,Stage IVa
8mm primary removed 3/5/08
4cm lymph node removed 2/22/08
2 additional sub cm nodes
Tx at Stanford: 30 x IMRT, 2 x Cisplatin,
Started radiation 3/27/08, Completed 5/7/08
p16+, HPV 16+
2 Year Post-TX PET CT 5/10 - CLEAR