Geri:

Best of luck to both you and your husband tomorrow. If you already have the prescriptions from the doctor, you may want to get them filled now. I was given some of my anti-nausea pills right before the chemo was given to me. The side effects do vary from patient to patient with not just chemo but also radiation. Some patients sail thru it so easily without many side effects and some greatly suffer. I do think alot of this depends on hydration and nutrition. The more water he drinks the better.

Tomorrow will be a long day bring a book, magazines, cards, puzzle books or hand held games. Where I went, they had nice reclining chairs with warm blankets and tv's. They also came around with food and fed everyone snacks, drinks and lunch including the caregivers. Nutrition is a huge thing during chemo/rad treatments.

It really wont matter too much what your husband eats if the nasuea gets away from him. If he can tolerate a nice steak, a pizza or a chicken dinner let him have it, the more the better. In a couple weeks his mouth will get sore and eating wont be easy, things will taste bad and burn his mouth. Food texture will play a big part in if he can eat things. Honestly, you may want to save the oatmeal and yogurt for those times which are coming. His food choices will become very limited and you dont want him to hate pudding and yogurt now before he needs it daily.

Thru this ordeal, please always remember to have your husband chew and swallow something a few times per day everday. Also to stretch his mouth open as wide as possible. Its very important to do these things to prevent worse problems from rad. down the road.

Again, hope tomorrow goes well for both of you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma