Hi, Richard starts treatment Mon and we are both relieved to finally get going, but apprehensive about side-effects from chemo. The side-effects from radiation seem pretty uniform for everyone, but the reaction to chemo seems to vary with each individual. It's the unexpected that is so disconcerting.
Does anyone have recommendations as to what to eat a couple of hours ahead of time? I'll fill the anti-nausea meds while Richard is having the chemo and he will take them regularly so as to stay ahead of any nausea. I thought about a small amount of oatmeal, crackers and yogurt for snacks and plenty to drink. Are sports drinks and plain water a good choice? What about some peppermint-cinnamon tea? These seem like good choices and easy on the stomach.
All I can think of is that his body is going to be poisoned. I know it's a war and that at this point in time, this particular treatment is the weapon to kill the cancer. It all seems so barbaric. Do you think one day they will be able to use the body's own immune system to rid itself of the cancer cells? Why does the treatment have to be so brutal on the healthy cells? Almost 40yrs ago, my mother had a cancerous lump in her neck and they used radiation then. She had side-effects, but survived and died of other causes. The radiation is so much more sophisticated now, but still radiation.
I'm sorry to vent because we are very thankful to have a positive prognosis, but if I was a conspiracy nut, I would think the drug companies and the powers that be aren't making as much progress as they should be. Because of better treatment options many people with a cancer diagnosis are living longer, which shows progress, but they still aren't able to find a way to spur the immune system to heal it's self. Thanks for all the feedback so far and any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Geri

Geri-CG to husband Richard, 62 yrs old. Former smoker, quit 30yrs ago, light drinker. Dx after tests with BOT T1N1M0. Tx to start by end of Dec. Seven wks IMRT with 2x Cisplatin-2x Erbitux. Peg in 12/08- removed 4/21/09. Looking good so far. Clear Pet &MRI 8/2/09