Your husbands immune system will be weakened. It is best to get a flu and a pneumonia shot. Use the hand sanitizer to kill germs and avoid people who are sick. Its not a bad idea to avoid crowds either. It may sound like its over-reacting, but better safe than sorry.

You will know when the chemo and radiation starts to hit your husband. He wont feel well and that can be for several days. He will be weak and easily fatigued and will require more rest. It will seem to get progressively worse as treatments continue. When treatments finally are finished it will take 2-3 weeks before he feels better. At that point he still wont be even close to being well yet. The worst time is the last week of treatment and first 2 or 3 weeks immediately after its over.

I had only 2 very strong doses of chemo. Originally it was scheduled for 3 doses but I couldnt tolerate it. Even with cutting my second dose down considerably, it was still too much for me to handle. That was me, others may be able to handle it better.

Its scary hearing all this info. Hope it helps you to understand what your husband could go thru. Some sail right thru it while others struggle. It appears that eating to build yourself up now and drinking at least 64 oz water per day help significantly in reducing side effects during treatment.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma