I am a big planner, verging on compulsive type personality, and am most comfortable dealing with worse case scenarios rather than being caught off guard. However, I found out that there are so many potential side effects and issues related to this tx. that it was impossible to be totally prepared.

At 2 weeks into tx., I changed my approach. I was busy reading and worrying about future long term side effects (eating, nutitional supplements, dry mouth, etc. ). Meanwhile, I was not paying attention to the fact that my husband's fluid intake had suddenly decreased tremendously. It startled me into taking things one step at a time.

I found it most helpful to be in close contact with the nursing staff at the cancer center. If necessary, they would consult with RO or MO or arrange for MD/NP/PA to perform an exam/evaluation. They encouraged immediately reporting every single side effect. Often meds or IV fluids were prescribed. If nothing could be done, at least it was noted in the record and we knew that it was to be expected. It seemed that every other day there was a new problem and the important thing is to not let the side effects that can be controlled escalate.

Of course my research on this site helped me to ask more pertinent questions and understand the team's explanations better. Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016