Geri,

Bill's WB count was lower with each week of chemo...tested before they infused. Hindsite being what it is, we probably were not as careful as we should have been....yes, I kept house and bedding clean and he washed his hands a lot but in trying to maintain some normalcy, he went to a couple of restaurants with us (I have family next door) even when he wasn't eating and probably got exposed to something there or perhaps from my 8 yo nephew??? He also maybe had an infection from mouth sores (mucositis) but docs weren't sure...just treated him aggressively as even being in the hospital was dangerous(MRSA.)

Re: the PEG. Once the soreness from surgery was over (about 4 days) Bill did not have much restriction at all on his activities. He learned to check the cap on the tube as coughing and such puts pressure on the tube and if the cap isn't seated well will blow off and the contents aren't pretty. We kept the tube in place with a long 4 or 6 inch ace bandage (the soft kind not the rubbery self stick stuff)wrapping it around several times and securing with the velcro. Its washable so two or three helps. Bill kept his PEG about three months post treatment and we just flushed it daily even when he wasn't eating. A nurse at the CCC we went to "yanked" it out after the docs declared him in good shape. The PEG for Bill was not a negative, but rather a life saver...no issues with infection or pain.

Glad to help...keep asking and reading....we are here,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill