Geri,

Each chemo treatment consists of a cocktail of meds, not just the cisplatin. Bill's treatment ususally consisted of 8 - 10 bags of IV fluids and it usually took 4 or more hours to get thru all of those. Richard will receive antinausea meds, fluids to protect his kidneys, etc. Bill's list is as follows:

Aloxi, Potassium Chloride, Tagamet, Benadryl, Decadron,
Magnesium Sulfate, Lasix, Mannitol, Taxol, Cisplatin.

You will find that once the horror of the initial infusion day passes (I found myself squelching a scream that this could not be happening to us and holding back a major teary breakdown)that the infusion room is a place of hope and the nurses there so compassionate and helpful. They were our best allies for any questions and suggestions. Do ask them, they have seen it all. You will also probably be given samples of meds that can be used between treatments for nausea, diarrhea, etc.

Bill got to know several of the nurses there over the 8 weeks of treatment...he traded books with one and shared stories of family and hobbies. That was when he wasn't snoozing...that benadryl is one of the first meds they give you and it knocked him out so the first couple of hours went by in la-la-land.

Hugs as you start this journey - I know how you feel.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill