Hey go write a book smile

"Another thing I might add is that a linear accelerator (LINAC), used for medical RT use, actually IS a gigantic microwave source that, when the beam is directed into a water cooled (usually titanium or tungsten) target, is transformed into high energy level x-radiation,"

But the microwaves are not what is used in the therapy treatments, right?

The physics of the electromagnetic spectrum are facinating in how they behave (wave propagation etc) but it gets very hard to follow when you get to light spectrum frequency because you then have particles (photons) together with wave propagation. When you cross into quantum physics it gets even stranger.

I say all that because my intent was to clarify that microwaves are not themselves ionizing radiation (think particles). This is a common "urban" thought that is expressed all the time. We have all heard people say "nuking my sandwich" in the microwave.

OMG two men in red......

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.