I sure wish I would have found this site before I ever did anything to begin with. In retrospect I think I made a serious mistake by accepting the choices made for me by my insurance provider. I think I should have gotten a second opinion from the very beginning by those who specialize in throat cancer.

The MRI (that test was hard to do) though fuzzy proved positive. The biopsy (very expensive) proved positive. I had to have the biopsy done in a hospital because I have severe heart stenosis. The ENT Doctor had scheduled for me to meet with Dr. Wadsworth (anyone ever heard of him) at Emory Univ. in Atlanta about possible robotic. The Dr. reviewed the MRI felt around and determined I was not a candidate for robotics. He indicated that extensive neck/chin surgery was most likely. I then meet back with the ENT who had already scheduled to perform the +- 12 hr operation at Northside Hosp, last Friday, (July 27th) and for me to meet with a plastic surgeon. He explained that he had not performed the operation for about 10 years and the plastic surgeons specialty was breast reconstruction and things like that. I have ultimate respect for the ENT Dr. but after a brief discussion he agreed that Emory Univ. would be better for me considering all things. I was relieved! In the meantime he made arrangements for all of my records to be transferred to Emory Univ.

Dr Wadsworth was in Canada last week for a conference. I have no idea how much time I have but I believe I will be meeting with him this week. In the meantime Emory had me do another PET?CAT scan. As I understand it Dr. Wadsworth meets this Tuesday (July 31) with a board to determine what path to take with cancer patients like me. On Wednesday I may be meeting with Dr. Wadsworth so he can explain what will take place next. I do not know how to get another opinion unless all my records could be sent to someplace like MD Anderson or Sloan Kettering for a quick opinion.

davidcpa and Kerri

You ask about smoking. I quite the minute I heard cancer. Although I have tried many times in the past it seems that all I needed was to get cancer to cause me to immediately stop. I now look back and wonder why I, or anyone, choose to be a human smoke stack. Fortunately we live in a different time when it is no longer fashionable and my son is learning the easy way that it serves no purpose. I was born to soon and with minimal willpower. I now think back a lot to how I got started and how much I disliked it all along. I started in high school as a result of dating a cheerleader/home coming queen type who smoked. I though smoking would help me win her favors etc. She taught me how to inhale and all. I use to actually drive around and practice so I could get it right. She eventually dumped me and I was left with nothing but a bad habit. In the solitude of my profession a cig became a constant companion. I also drank more than my fair share over the years. For many years now I have had at least a couple of large glasses of wine every night. I know the reason for my cancer but I am saddened to read of those, much younger, who never smoked and hardly drank who have been over powered by this dreadful disease in the same area. I am now very depressed but I am lucky to have made it this far.

Thanks to everyone for responding, your kind words, thoughts and suggestions

2010 sore throat
Jan 2011 ENT no prob
Jun CAT no prob
July PET
July biop pos
July PEG

HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma right tongue base treatment chemo/XRT end Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 PET neg
June PET-18mm mass right tongue base pos to 7.2 SUV no nodes pos
July MRI.
July bio pos