Just in case new members get too excited about these videos, here's some comments:
First, that John's video describes standard procedure almost everywhere as part of plain vanilla IMRT. So no one suddenly needs to panic or worry that they were not treated this way. It's just so basic that most radiologists don't even explain it to patients anymore than they explain the differences between IMRT, Cyberknife, or Proton Therapy.
Second, Dr. Lee's opinion on the group video that she can do everything with IMRT that can be done with Cyberknife is somewhat misleading in that it is only true for first time radiation. In fairness to her, she did not claim she could do a second or third round of radiation with IMRT but she did overstate it since she did not put in any qualifiers.
Bear in mind that her NYC site of MSK does not have the machines to do Cyberknife nor proton radiation. I believe if Dr. Lee were asked, she would agree with my assessment.
Third: I do like how feisty she is, denouncing proton radiation as just "big hype" as well as sharing what both Kelly211 and I have been told, that for head and neck cancers, proton therapy may not be as good and that IMRT is actually better. Although that was somewhat undercut by her follow up that her NYC site is ordering a proton machine.(shades of Star Trek: Photon torpedos)
Fourth, I liked her explanation that IMRT and Cyberknife both use photons as the source energy, the difference is between how they are delivered. I would have liked a little more about how IMRT has to use multiple beams while Cyberknife rotates and can use a single more focused beam than IMRT. She did acknowledge that Cyberknife was like a top of the line fancy luxury car while IMRT is the standard car but the differences are more significant than that..
Otherwise, the videos are nice, but no new information that hasn't already been discussed here.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-11-2012 04:35 PM. Reason: added star trek to lighten up

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13