As I read thru all of your posts and put the pieces together of what you have gone thru, I wonder about a few things. This doctor of yours seems to be very competent but at the same time they refuse to sign a form to allow you a second opinion. To me, this sends up reg flags. Any reputable doctor would welcome their patient a chance to hear another major cancer center's treatment plan. I would ask them point blank.... " my obtaining a second opinion?"

I would get that second opinion ASAP!!!! By waiting it is not doing anything positive for you at all. You are worrying more and the cancer could be treated easier by doing surgery now. Once you have this major surgery you cant go back and put anything back in place, once its gone, its gone for good. Surgeons cut so thats always what they recommend. In this situation that would be your only real option but the big question is which cancer center is going to give you the best chance for getting it all and your after surgery a good quality of life?

I sense you are becoming depressed. This is very common with cancer patients. A few weeks ago I suggested you seek out someone to talk to. Ask at your hospital if they have a therapist or counselor who works with their cancer patients. Check with your health insurance what your coverage is and if they can send you a list of local therapists. Nobody gets thru this alone, many lean on this forum to help get them thru whatever they are dealing with. Its not like deciding which pair of shoes to buy, you are facing life and death decisions here which is bound to be upsetting. Do you have a large family? How about close friends who understand about cancer? Too often nobody 'gets it' which makes a patient feel even more isolated and alone in this. Keep posting, we will help you get thru whatever you decide to do. We are in your corner!

No more hesitating. Please get that second opinion, even if you need to get your family doctor to give the ok.

Here are a couple resources to help you with your travels...
Free airfare for cancer patients
List of free airfare companies
List of free lodging for cancer patients

Last edited by ChristineB; 08-09-2012 05:41 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma