The reasons most (virtually all) institutions do not give second opinions without directly seeing the patient is that they can't make a decision on someone else's observations that leaves them liability free, and which they are sure have covered all the bases to give them the total picture. I had a work up at a good institution. I opted not to get treated there but to go to MD Anderson based on a profession recommendation (I had been lecturing to oral surgery groups for some time and had lots of contacts).

So MDACC tells me that I need 4 days for my consultation. Say what? They insisted on redoing my scans, blood work, physical exams etc. before they would put me in front of their tumor board. This is a partly good business from a legal standpoint, and there are just big differences in the way things are done even at the biggest hospitals, regardless of the first institutions reputation, the second institution only trusts their own data. It is the norm.

Given the way these guys are trying to PREVENT you from getting a second opinion, I would be out of there immediately looking for one. OCF can refer you to people if you like, and by law, your current institution has to provide your records to the next place. They don't have a choice.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 08-09-2012 06:48 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.