I have my PET scan results back (shown below) and unfortunately, to my surprise, it seems my trip and additional radiation treatment at Univ. of Pitt Medical Center and Urbitux given in Atlanta accomplished nothing. The only good news was that the tumor is still localized and no lymph nodes or spreading of cancer cells is apparent. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts too offer I look forward to hearing them.

�There is a large area of increased FDG activity in the right side of the base of the tongue in the same area as was previously seen on the PET CT scan of 6/11/2012. This area is larger than the previous study and on the PET scan measures 2.9 x 2.5 versus 2.5 x 2.3 cm previously. The tumor appears to have crossed the midline slightly to the left side.

No other area of abnormal FDG activity seen in the neck and the CT component is also unremarkable. Patient�s head is rotated to the left side resulting in unusual appearance of the tongue and soft tissue of the neck�.

Other things were stated but it seems that which is shown above was of greatest importance. I am shocked that radiation is not killing this ball of cancer cells. It seems to me that this second round of very focused radiation would have accomplished something. The radiation oncologist ask if I would like for her to look at some other possibilities besides surgery and I told her yes. One thing she is going to look into is a clinical trial somewhere. I tried that once but got lost in all the verbiage.

Tomorrow I meet with the ENT I have been working with.

2010 sore throat
Jan 2011 ENT no prob
Jun CAT no prob
July PET
July biop pos
July PEG

HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma right tongue base treatment chemo/XRT end Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 PET neg
June PET-18mm mass right tongue base pos to 7.2 SUV no nodes pos
July MRI.
July bio pos