Nocam,

I just read your post and feel like I got a swift kick in the stomach. I am surprised to see the tumor had no reaction to the radiation. This treatment involves fairly high doses of radiation so you would think the tumor would have diminished in size if only slightly. In your case it actually increased slightly.

I know that it is cold comfort knowing that surgery is still an option and that you are in no worse a situation than you were in when you started this. It looks like your tumor is completely resistant to radiation treatment. I have heard of this but have never run into it on this board. If someone else has some experience with this please chime in.

The good news is that the cancer has remained localized and there is no metastasis to other locations or lymph nodes (again, cold comfort).

I feel bad as I was the one who recommended you give this a shot. I don�t know what to say about that other than I am sorry if I have caused you any undo pain or discomfort.

I�m still pulling for you. Please keep us informed about what the doctors are saying they want to do next.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR