This is my first post and I am not sure of a better place to start than in the recurrence area. In the signature below is my general progression. Until my situation came along I had only heard about cancer but never thought too much about it actually coming my way. I had never heard of anyone having oral cancer until my treatment was about to begin and I heard that Michael Douglas was dealing with Stage 4 base of tongue cancer which seemed to be identical to my diagnosis. As a result, knowing my diagnosis was only Stage 3, I tried to read everything I could find about Michael�s condition and was encouraged by the fact that he was recovering very well from Stage 4 so I assumed I would be just fine (if monetary differences did not matter) for I was only Stage 3. My assumptions are proving to be seriously wrong. I found OCF as a result of my reads about Michael Douglas. I am glad to have found OCF and have discovered how dreadful OC can be but realize that there is hope for all new victims..

It was decided that I would have 35+7 treatments of radiation and 3 treatments of chemo with cisplatin. With difficulty and normal repulsive effects during and after treatments I made it this far. In Jan. 2012 I had a PET scan and all cancer was gone. On a monthly basis I have been meeting with my Kaiser ENT Doctor who has been pleased with my recovery so I have been encouraged. In June 2012 I had a follow up PET scan which unfortunately shows hot spots in the previously treated area and is therefore a major disappointment. Fortunately the nodes show nothing and the cancer has not spread. Tomorrow I am scheduled for a biopsy but the ENT Doctor has looked and felt around and feels quite certain that the cancer is beginning to grow again. He has explained that the next conventional step would be surgery that involves cutting my neck, splitting my jaw at the chin and removing an area of tongue past the midline that would, with margins, leave very little tongue and involve great eating, breathing and speaking difficulties. The ENT Doctor has really stepped forward and is investigating the possibilities of robotic (TORS) surgery, if I could qualify, which would be much less debilitating. He has spoken to a Dr. Weinstein in Penn and also found that Emory Univ., here in Atlanta, has a couple of Doctors who are very capable with robotics. At the moment, if something must be done I certainly look forward to robotics vs. all else. No matter what, it seems that the failure of chemo and radiation is a sure sign of a cancers return and progressively more invasive surgery over time.

That�s all I can think to include at the moment but I may add more later. Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to any thoughts, feelings, suggestions, experiences etc. that can be passed along that will help me make the best decisions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

69 years old heavy smoker of filtered low tar/nick cigs (mostly) for +- 50 yrs.

End of 2010 to Jan 2011 sore horse throat from time to time
Jan 2011 went to ENT Doctor and nothing shows as a problem
June 2011 still uncomfortable CAT scan done but nothing conclusive
July 2011 PET scan done and something looks suspicious
July 2011 G-tube (PEG) placed and used for feeding since shortly after treatment began due to swallowing difficulty.

July 2011 biopsy proves positive:
HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma of the right tongue base treated with chemo/XRT ending Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 initial PET scan was negative.
June 2012 PET scan shows 18mm mass in the right tongue base positive to 7.2 SUV with no nodes positive.
July 11, 2012 had an MRI.
July 13, 2012 to have a biopsy to verify suspicions.

2010 sore throat
Jan 2011 ENT no prob
Jun CAT no prob
July PET
July biop pos
July PEG

HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma right tongue base treatment chemo/XRT end Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 PET neg
June PET-18mm mass right tongue base pos to 7.2 SUV no nodes pos
July MRI.
July bio pos