Nocam,

All of the current radiation delivery platforms being used now use a linier accelerator to generate the radiation beam. It is how that beam is delivered that is different (not sure about proton beam though).

The operative word in your treatment is "Stereotactic radiosurgery" which is what you are getting. This is where you get a very precise blast of radiation (up to 10gy) in a continuous beam each session. The machines used to deliver this type of treatment have different brand names given to them by their manufacturers; Cyberknife is one of those brand names.

If you notice during treatment your machine gives you a constant hum whereas the IMRT goes on and off. Here is a link to the page that explains it at UPMC;

http://www.upmccancercenter.com/radonc/radiosurgery.cfm

If you have seen my posts you may know that I am always more interested in the radiation I am getting and on what platform than the chemo side. Chemo is only a small part of the treatment and the radiation caries the biggest load. So my opinion would be to use the platinum based chemo�s if you are unsure about the Erbitux. The Erbitux did not bother me and they were fairly happy with my results, but then again I have no idea what made the most difference, radiation or chemo.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR