Christine - I think that Karen has shed great insight on this and I would agree that saying something to your daughters in the way of allowing them to ask questions would be helpful. In softening whatever you say to them, perhaps you could include something positive like the help that hospice is bringing to you and Matt. Everyone is different in how they react to things and how they grieve and you know your children best. Being in "denial" is a normal response and needs to be allowed. I think knowing is better than not knowing the real situation. We've all felt the anguish of not knowing and waiting for results of some test or procedure. And of being comforted when others joined us to help us through it. The tears shed need to be acknowledged and shared to make the sadness a little lighter to bear. Whatever information you share with your daughters will make it easier for the three of you to support each other in whatever way is needed. Hoping for some peaceful moments of comfort for you and Matt and your girls.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)