I've always heard of good things about hospice, but one thing that sticks in my mind is when I heard someone say that going with the hospice decision does not always equate with a death sentence and that some hospice patients actually do get better and come out of hospice to go on to a normal recovery. Something similar happened to my ex-husband when he was very close to his demise. He was in the hospital on life support and had made known his "do not resuscitate" wish. Our 3 children, his present wife and other relatives were all around his hospital bed when the nurse came in to remove the life support. Well, wouldn't you know - he didn't expire as everyone, including him, expected! He was well enough to go home, with his wife #2 (I'm #1) and enjoy going to Walmart in his beloved pick-up truck. They had another two weeks to enjoy some happy, peaceful moments.

Christine, I hope that whatever is in your future, that you and your husband will have some happy, peaceful moments to share.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)