Hey Drew, great to hear from a “local”. You sound like you are making great progress, congrats. I feel fortunate reading your story that I didn’t require surgery - it is a bit of a mystery to me the type of tumours that demand surgery and those that do not. Is your tumour HPV based? I read that HPV 16+ tumours (mine) are very sensitive to radiation - maybe that is the difference? Anyway, I have heard that the surgical team at Sunnybrook is top notch - my ent told me that if his family required surgery he would send them to Sunnybrook.

I just completed my 22nd radiation treatment on Friday - 11 to go. I have had 2 largedose cisplatin treatments with one left. My side effects so far have been (mercifully) mild. “Sunburn “ around neck, very sore throat, dry mouth, difficulty swallowing. I find the act of eating solid food to be a bit off putting. Food doesn’t taste very pleasant in my mouth and when I swallow solids, I feel a mild nausea. Combine that with zero appetite and it’s hard to get motivated to eat much. I have taken to isosource through the peg to maintain weight which is a struggle (lost 20 pounds since starting). I am swallowing as much solid food as I can to keep the muscles in my throat working.

Apart from the effects on my mouth, I am still getting around in a fairly normal fashion. I played golf this week and have been riding my bike to treatment most days. My goal is to ride to my 33rd treatment - rain or shine!

Good luck with your recovery, hope that it is swift.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.