Hi Barry,

Recovery from radiation includes allowing the inside of your throat, which you can’t see, to heal and scar over too. I was actually taken aback when the RO did a scope post treatment and told my husband that he saw a lot of scarring. That may explain why swallowing and re-introducing solid food is difficult for you at this moment. The inside is probably still raw.

Toast is probably too hard for you to swallow right now. If you really want to try solids, make sure the food is covered in a lot of sauce so that it goes down more easily.

There were a couple of times when John swallowed some food and it seemed like he was doing okay, but then after a couple of hours, the food came back up because it never did go down into the esophagus. I don’t know if that was the case with you. But I know how frustrating and upsetting that can be. Do you have a dietitian assigned to you at the hospital? Is it possible for you to pick his/her brains?

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.