Brief update after finishing my last radiation treatment today and final chemo (large dose cisplatin) Friday.

I decided against riding my bike to last treatment today due to inclement weather in Toronto- raining and cool, so typical of November. I was able to ride yesterday which I consider a victory of sorts.

Frankly, I feel like the treatments have beaten me up a bit. A little more tired and lethargic and the treatments have left me on a mostly peg diet. Losing weight probably hasn’t helped me maintain energy.

Doctors have advised that side effects will continue to worsen for a few weeks, and then hope for some healing.

I now find myself in the stage where treatments are complete but there won’t be any feedback on whether the treatments have been successful in eliminating cancer for some time yet. Ten weeks until imaging can begin due to effects of radiation.

I also feel that I should push myself to reintroduce solid foods but hard to get motivated absent appetite.

A continued thank you to everyone on this forum for the advice and encouragement. Hope I can return the favour to anyone who unfortunately follows down this path.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.