When a patient has a peg tube and/or a picc line they must be very careful with everything they do. Definitely no lifting anything over 20 pounds!!! I cant imagine doing sit ups with a feeding tube either. I suggest talking with your doctor about exercising. Most patients are not physically able to exercise while going thru rads. They're burning up calories at a much faster rate withe their body fighting the cancer and trying to rebuild itself. Patients going thru rads should not lose any weight, no matter if they are 100 pounds soaking wet or 500 pounds. Losing weight is a sure sign the patient is not taking in enough calories every single day and must increase their intake to maintain their weight. Im sure walking wouldnt be too strenuous but check with your doc to be certain.

Cisplatin is known to affect some patients with hearing loss and/or kidney damage. A smaller weekly dose was shown to be just as effective as the 3 "big bag" method it sounds like you are getting. Thats what I had too and I struggled from about 7-10 days after the chemo right thru until about 2 months post rads. But!!!!.... always remember everyone is different and will react to treatments, medications, etc in their own unique way. What feels like torture to one person may seem like a slight pinch to another. As Gloria already mentioned pay close attention to any changes in your hearing with reporting all changes immediately to your doctor. The damage to hearing is permanent and you do NOT want to be given another dose if your hearing is being affected.

Chemo days can be long days!!! It was only 4-5 hours when I was given chemo, then next was rads which was surprisingly very quick. It took me longer to change into the hospital gowns and back into my regular clothes than to do the rads treatment. Chemo days you will see most patients have someone with them to keep them company. Others read, sleep, play cards, watch tv or movies, some bring an ipad or laptop while others use their cell, some socialize with other patients while getting their chemo. I had a picc line too. Theres a numbing spray (sorry but I forget its name) nurses use for children when they take blood or sometimes when giving shots. Most medical professionals wont automatically offer the numbing spray, at least they didnt offer it to me. But if you ask they will use it before accessing the port. That spray really makes a big difference!!! If you can remember to ask for it, they should have it right there available for their young patients.

You should be ok to attend your daughters party. But use caution avoid anyone who is sick, even just having a common cold can be really hard on someone going thru rads and chemo. Be aware as you continue thru your treatments, you will become less able to fight things off as your resistance drops along with your white blood counts. Chemo does a number on a patients immune system!!! Anyone going thru rads/chemo needs to pay special attention to surroundings, avoid crowds, schools, younger children, public places or anywhere you could easily pick up different illnesses from other people, even the waiting room of your doctors. You should carry and use hand sanitizer and wash your hands more often, especially after being around someone who is sick or touching everyday commonly used things like elevator buttons, doorknobs, etc. It can take months before a patients immune system bounces back after going thru rads and chemo. For some (like me) it takes them even longer, a few years to have normal white counts and build themselves back up. Almost everyone given the "big bag" method of the 3 big doses of cisplatin feels fine the day of and the day after its given. With the extra hydration thats usually given along with chemo, most will actually feel a little better than they had before the chemo. Its very important you drink extra fluids to help flush that poison out of your body. Even with being given extra hydration you still should take in 48-64 oz of water daily... on chemo days (and if possible the day before and the day after) patients should push to take in at least 64 oz of water, more if possible. Its extremely rare for anyone to mention noticing any side effects from cisplatin earlier than 6 or 7 days after the chemo is given. Your doc can give you a calendar showing the dates of chemo treatments as well as when to expect to see side effects. At least thats what my doc did for me, it could be something my treatment facility did or maybe just something in the US? If you havent already been given anti-nausea meds like zofran, ask and fill the prescription asap so you are prepared in case you begin feeling nauseous. For the patients who are very nauseous, its necessary to take the anti-nausea meds around the clock as its next to impossible to get ahead of the nausea once it really hits the patient. Just in case if you would be one of the unfortunate patients who gets hit hard with nausea, there are anti-nausea meds in suppository form to get you back on track taking the meds around the clock. Hopefully you wont be too bothered with side effects, my fingers are crossed for you.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy