Hi Barry;

I introduced myself here back in the summer. I have floor-of-mouth cancer that involved my mandible (lower jaw bone) and am also in Toronto. I live downtown, but all of my treatment is at Sunnybrook. I follow all of the doctor reports on "mychart" - think you can do that (if interested) on "myuhn".

In my case, I had a great surgeon at Sunnybrook who operated Aug 29. I was in the hospital until Sept 10. I was able to eat "normally" (in quotes because of some restrictions) before the surgery. They removed my teeth, a lot of the floor of my mouth and approx 3" of my right jaw which they replaced with 3 inches of my left leg. I can walk gingerly without any supports (only do this inside) and am up to eating more liquidy stews. I very finely chop everything (think 1/8 inch) which I don't have to chew and can swallow. I, too am drinking ensure, but also yogurt, mott's fruit sensations, oatmeal, etc. I've found that some pastas are possible, and rice/noodle side dishes like the Uncle Bens or, Knorr). I increase the liquid (water/milk/butter/margarine) to make them easier.

You might want to try some of the above. To end, I start my radiation in a week or two, they might also add chemo. Not sure, so my coping mechanisms above might all fall by the wayside.

Wish you the best in your fight and a swift recovery.

Drew.