Hi Barry;

Congrats for having made the journey to the other side. I really can't comment on the food (yet). I'm 8 weeks post-surgery and 2 weeks into the radiation. Had my first Cisplatin about a week ago. My side effects seem to be about the same as yours (first dose), but I am having trouble with my ears and, from what I've read, platinum based drugs can cause permanent damage. Will find out as I go. I also have a genetic blood vessel disorder and, with the home care nurse giving me 1000ml fluid a day, am getting almost constant nosebleeds. I may have to change the amount of fluids as my blood pressure is sensitive.

On to food, before I worked in business, I was a licensed chef for a long time. I've searched places (like Amazon) and there really are no books that deal directly with oral cancer. There's a lot of stuff on pureed foods and things like "superfoods to beat/prevent cancer", but I can't seem to find anything that deals with the intracacies of oral cancer. We'll probably all have throat issues due to radiation, some from throat surgery. Then there's mouth surgery, tongue, lips, and any combination, where eating and diet are going to be a challenge. This doesn't even begin to mention side effects, allergies (preferences eg: vegan, vegetarian, etc).

I think a book like that with "adaptive recipes" might well be called for. I may even work on something (give me something to twiddle my fingers with). Perhaps a book could even support OCF.

As for my situation, they removed my teeth to get at the cancer, 3 1/2 inches of jaw, about an inch of tongue and whatever else they saw.

I'm finding thick soups, high is both protein and carbs (lentils, meats, potatoes, other veggies) and creamed soups the easiest right now. Smoothies, ensure, and pureed everything doesn't make for an outstanding "menu". They won't replace my teeth until February (after I heal from radiation and chemo). I'd personally love to see something out there with ideas for the next few months.

I can understand feeling sick from a scrambled egg. I scambled 3 with about a tbsp of butter and felt gross for hours. A thick soup cured that.

I'm actually not looking forward to the end of treatment. I'll be worrying or wanting that MRI or PET scan as soon as I can get it. That said I've faith in everything and am going to try and plan a cruise for the spring.

Barry, I think you've done amazingly well - a metaphorical toast to you. Please keep in touch.

Drew.