Update of last three weeks:

Met with MO and RO on the 12th of Jan. They had the results of the MRI and the pictures of the CT scan but radiologist had not yet reviewed (apparently there is a shortage of radiologists up our way). The MRI showed that the main tumour had shrunk drastically but was still visible. RO thought this was about what she expected given the tumour was quite large when treatments began. She thought that the swelling and pain I was experiencing could be a radiation side effect - scarred tissue causing fluid to be trapped, causing swelling and pain. She set up a PET Scan for next week to make sure there was no further active disease areas. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, swelling and pain have been progressing, so upped the dose of hydromorphone and pregabalin and adding some type of steroidal drug to help with inflammation.

Eating has been ok. Mostly liquid - soups, smoothies, etc., but if the pain in my mouth were to get resolved, I think I could begin a more solid food diet. Weight has stabilized, but hasn’t started to increase yet (New Years resolution is to gain 10 lbs).

Bottom line - progress but still anxious times awaiting PET. Thanks to everyone for listening, it is great to have a place to vent!

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.