Hi guys. A bit of a progress report and a couple of questions.

Progress:

Got my PEG tube installed yesterday morning. The procedure went well (less discomfort than I was expecting). After that I met with the neurosurgeon to discuss the pituitary adenoma in my head. He felt that it had all the signs of being benign and recommended no current action other than a series of mri’s to create a baseline to observe if the mass is growing. If symptoms arise he might suggest something else but, absent symptoms he is not too worried. Took one problem off the “agenda”.

Met with nutritionist to learn how to use the peg tube this morningfor feeding and how to keep it clean. It was quite simple and hopefully a tool to maintain strength and weight heading into treatment.

Had first (ever) radiation treatment today for the tumour in my tongue / mouth. I was quite apprehensive about the treatments - I guess due to fear of the unknown and perhaps more concern than was necessary. The radiation technicians were extremely patient and empathetic. They walked me through the entire process before hand and gave me a lot of reassurance. The treatment went off without a hitch. No side effects yet, but I am advised that they are coming and will be unpleasant.

PICC tube is getting installed tomorrow morning, then off to First Chemotherapy treatment after that. They are going with a high dose of cisplatin and it will take most of the day to administer it. They follow up with home visits to flush the chemo drugs in the subsequent days.

Questions

1. How long until you felt comfortable exercising with your peg and picc? The people inserting the picc said “no heavy lifting or golf for 2 weeks after picc is installed”. Peg guys said “I wouldn’t rush out and do 50 sit-ups but going for a brisk walk is no problem”. Lots of leeway in those two statements. I’m a bit concerned that the two week lay off due to the picc will blend into the time that side effects start to rear their ugly head (s).

2. What is your experience with the side effects of the first chemo treatment? My daughter’s 30th birthday is on Saturday (day after first chemo treatment). Am I going to be a basket case or is there reasonable hope that I can attend?

Thanks everyone for listening and providing advice.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.