Lots of changes in the past week or so.

Symptoms keep worsening though at a gradual,pace. Swelling increasing, pain increasing, weight seems to have stabilized (down 20 pounds). Had a lot of doctors appointments!

Met with the ent who made then first preliminary diagnosis. He reviewed the results of the biopsy with me which confirmed his original diagnosis. It is an “HPV” tumour, type 16, and the doctor explained that was good news as this type of tumour is much more sensitive to radiation treatments.

Next appointment at the cancer centre - met with the surgical oncologist who let me know that they would not pursue surgery in my case (at least for now). They would start with radiation treatments on Sep 5 and there would be a series of 33 treatments - each weekday for 6 1/2 weeks. Also met with nurses to get the general “lay of the land”, and a speech therapist who gave me exercises to get started with. At a subsequent meeting with radiation oncologist they fitted me for a mask and did a ct scan. Made it all seem a little too real.

Then came the palliative care team. They reviewed the meds I was taking and suggested some slower releasing substitutes which I am starting now. They seemed quite knowledgeable and accessible. Fingers crossed that they will be able to help with the discomfort that is coming.

Medical oncologist next who discussed the chemo treatments - 1 high dose every three week that they explained was designed to improve the efficacy of the radiation treatments. They said I would require a “pik tube”? for the duration of treatment to accept the medication and then to flush with fluids. Having a pik assessment tomorrow.

Also meeting with nutritionist tomorrow to discuss diet and whether a feeding tube will be needed. I have difficulty chewing and swallowing now and have been told that it will likely be worse when the treatments start. I’m leaning toward getting tube inserted now so that it will be ready when needed.

Finally, an “incidental finding” on the ct scan was a grape sized tumour on my pituitary gland. They assume it is benign since I have no symptoms but have referred me to a neurologist for follow up.

Frankly, all of this has happened extremely quickly. It has gone from walking into an ent appointment hoping that he was going to diagnose some kind of infection that could be managed to everything described above. All since Aug 2nd. It has been an overwhelming ride and has been difficult to catch up emotionally with events as they unfold.

I’m not sure I’m ready for what’s about to happen but it will happen - cancer doesn’t seem to wait for anyone. Thank you for this forum, it has been enlightening to hear of everyone’s experience - calming in many ways.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.