Hi Barry,

The time after diagnosis is like being caught in a whirlwind, so much happening and you get sent to all those appointments that you hardly have time to catch a breath.

I believe they are going to give you a PICC line - percutaneous indwelling central catheter. Personally I think it’s a good idea though John didn’t get one. It makes it a lot easier when they have to give you chemo and to draw blood. So John ended up with a lot of bruises on both arms through treatment. With a PICC line you can avoid all that.

It sounds like to me that you are getting a lot of assistance at the hospital, which is a good thing. Unless things have changed, when you finish radiation, you’ll get a visiting nurse from Community Care Access who will visit you at home and check on your progress every week. John also got a visiting nurse who came in to give him hydration during treatment. They sent the pump, the saline and whatever’s needed to the house.

Do you have a caregiver who will be able to drive you to the hospital for the radiation sessions? Initially you may be able to drive yourself but fatigue eventually takes over and it’s better to have someone to drive you. For the chemo, they kept John at the hospital overnight, so it was a bit of relief. Do take the anti-emetic before you’re really nauseous when you’re getting chemo. I have always been told to make sure the patient gets ahead of the nausea. There’s no gold star for getting so sick from not wanting to take the anti-emetic.

Last edited by gmcraft; 08-28-2019 06:25 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.