Barry, we, too, saw our friends mostly for meals and parties, when John could no longer swallow, socializing with them became a bit of a problem. Then I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that a way to deal with this was to move the focus for socializing away from food to other things. Instead of meeting for a meal, for example, we could meet and watch a movie on tv together, for example. People may still want to have popcorn while watching the movie, but John didn’t have to partake. I tried that with some success. I was very open about shifting the focus. I didn’t hint, I just said we had to try do something else if they wanted John to be a part of it. The treatment period can be lonely, it won’t do for the patient not to see his friends at all, do give this some thought.

Last edited by gmcraft; 09-28-2019 06:15 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.