Hey Christine. Progress report. 15 radiation treatments completed and your predictions are coming true (are you from the future?).

I find swelling is down so chewing foods is a little easier without chomping on my tongue. Swallowing on the other hand is much more painful. Seems like my mouth Is producing little to no saliva (radiation oncologist says this will be permanent on right side of mouth, hopefully temporary on left) and a very sore throat making swallowing food difficult.

To maintain weight, I have been supplementing with isource (like ensure) and they still are easy to swallow. Up to 6 a day for 2250 calories + whatever I can eat. Have so far avoided the peg tube for anything but water to keep it clear. I suspect I am a week or two from taking everything through peg but hope I can keep eating orally.

Sunburn starting around neck (treating with moisturizer) and more sores in mouth everyday.

The psychological “weight” of the challenging treatment and the unknown probabilities of success in eradicating tumour is getting me down. Anyone have tips on staying positive?

Thanks all.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.