Ok. Update and a question for you.

Update.

Had my 10th of 33 radiation treatments today. Side effects are making themselves known. Most pronounced effects are, dry mouth, mucous, a little redness around the skin, a few more sores in my mouth, and swelling of my mouth - tongue and cheeks primarily (more on this later).

Other than that I have been feeling relatively well. I have been taking all nutritionist orally. I flush my peg every day with water to make sure it is flowing properly and to provide a little extra hydration. Most calories are coming from soups, smoothies, I protein, and a little bit of solid food. Weight has more or less stabilized and I am able to battle weight loss with increasing iprotein consumption.

Still getting around well. Rode my bike to radiation appointment today - doc said this was a good sign. It wasn’t a long ride and it was a beautiful day here in Toronto.

Next week is the second chemo instalment. 1st series went really well, thanks to some well timed anti-nausea medications. Had a home nurse for post chemo saline flush. A bit of a hassle, but I put up with it.

Questions:

1. I think that if I could chew solid food I could easily swallow it. My problem is that the rads have increased the swelling and soreness in my mouth. When I try to chew solids, I end up biting my tongue or cheek - kind of painful. Anyone have any suggestions to avoid biting tongue? It is pushing me to a full soft diet and I would prefer to eat solids if I could.

I can’t tell you how helpful all of the information and advice from the forum has been. Thank you all for your efforts.

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.