lady J,

Caregivers need to understand the difference between soft love and tough love and they need to know when to use them both.

I remember when I was 2 weeks post Tx and I had lost 30% of my body weight; couldn't open my mouth to talk; was writing everything on a tablet; was severely dehydrated; was badly nauseated; meds weren't working; was ashen grey; was not swallowing anything and didn't have a Peg and I was refusing to go to the hospital unless she could guarantee me a private room so I could watch my college football game. I actually wrote that down on my pad. She looked at me and said "then die watching your damn football game" and she left me alone to go to work!! I was shocked, I was like she left me, she can't leave me, I really need her. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't call her because it hurt soooo much just to try to wisper. Anyway she let me stew for about 10 mins and she came back and TOLD ME if I didn't go with her at once she was going to have me Baker Acted. Needless to say I went but I did get my private room and I did get to see my game and I did get her message loud and clear and I did write her an apology.... after the game was over of course.

I give all the credit in the world to you caregivers.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.