If it's any consolation, and I'm sure it probably isn't, I'm ALREADY at the stage of 'small bites', without having even got diagnosis or treatment yet! The tumour (that much diagnosed) is in my jaw-bone and can barely open mouth and swallowing hurts--also am a denture wearer! Had 3 years of frustration trying to get dad to eat--cooked tiny, chopped up casseroles, mashed fish (which he didn't like anyway!)and 'treats' of individual trifles, ice-cream etc.--but as Amy says, a lot gets thrown!
Am pleased with myself today as 24 hours after biopsy and in more pain, have managed chopped up strawberries and cream, some soft beef, mash and gravy and a few beans with bites of hot-dog sausage--and 2 glasses full-fat milk! Was skinny before I got sick!
And David, I'm sure alcohol and fags don't help in the long-term, but they do remind us we can still swallow SOMETHING we like!!
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!