I've had breast, oral and renal cancer as well as basal cell carcinomas, one benign and one small malignancy not deep with a good area of safe margins removed. On my last colonoscopy the Dr. removed polyps which could posssibly have developed into worse. I take medication for acid reflux which if untreated could lead to cancer of th esophagus.

There is no "better" or "worse" cancer. All are awful and potentially deadly - some quicker or causing more suffering than others. Even a small benign skin cancer is frightening - I refused dental x-rays for years after mine was removed. All treatment surgical, chemical, and radiolical has risks from minor scarring and temporary inconvieniece to possible life-long afteraffects. Every procedure, treatment and medication carries it's own particular risks includinng leading to further problems, not working and even being potentially lethal.

The emotional and psychological toll of cancer affects many - patient,care takers, family, friends, co-workers, medical personnel working in the field. These affects can linger for years and are often unacknowledged.

Thank G-d today much progress has been and continues to be made in identifying causes, detection, prevention and treatment of many cancers. As Brian has shown us, those of us who have been affected have an obligation to do as much as we can to emotionally support others, promote awareness, increase knowledge and do whatever it takes to fight the battle. Our first instinct and obligation is to fight for the cause which has affected us personally but just as one soldier or regiment can win or lose a battle, a general attact on all fronts by all forces is vital to win a war.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF