At our church during dinner after our Sunday service one of the visiting group that provided the music sat across the table from me. As I was attempting to smush up my food in order to swallow it she looked at my face and asked "What happened to your face"? I started to turn the question around on her as well but with a shrug I just said Fate played a cruel trick and blasted me with cancer, removed my plate and left the fellowship hall. Needless to say I no longer eat at church functions since I have upper dentures and no lower teeth or a place to put them. I joke about smushing up my food but it really hurt when the women I work with once made fun of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich-which was the only thing I could eat well at work. I now eat only yogurt or banana at work and not where anyone can watch. Good thing I work nights. I sometimes feel like one of my patients and want to say Good morning this I am nurse Franekenstein how may I help you. Humor gets me through a lot of tough times but I seldom go places I know people will stare at me.

Last edited by SuzyB47; 09-20-2009 01:53 AM.

T2N1M0 Stage IV SSC right lower alveolar ridge with fibula free flap, Peg, trach, selective neck dissection,one node positive. No Chemo or radiation.Surgery 3/08.Cancer free for 2 years as of March 13.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.