Hi Charm,
I am so sorry that you and Bev have to go through this again. I thought that something that might give you both cause for optimism is that after my second round of IMRT in 2010 I was cancer free for about 10 months and then was diagnosed with SCC in the left buccal area. It appeared to be localized and I had two surgeries to remove the suspect area. (I had cancer on one of the margins of the first surgery, hence the second op). All seemed good with this until my checkup when it appeared to be back. A biopsy confirmed it and a decision was made to do a wide area excision and replace it with a forearm free flap. This was done in February of 2011 and I have not had a problem since. I still run to my ENT everytime something concerns me. He had once told me that I should do the things I wanted to do do sooner rather than later but now he says that while my prognosis has to be somewhat guarded given the recurrent nature of my disease, I can now plan for the longer term. I am proof that a recurrence after being radiated twice is not a death sentence.

Tell Bev to be optimistic a day spent worrying about what might happen is a day wasted. If your disease is localized it is likely no radiation will be necessary, and surgery may completely removed.

Think positively!! Completely off topic I bought a Vitamix and am happily putting blended whole foods down my PEG. Thanks for that info. I will get a button next month.

Love and Best Wishes to you and Bev.

Sue G

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10