[quote=ChristineB]

@KristenS... Sorry that I am such a nag about intake!!! It really is THAT important. I nag because I hate seeing anyone struggle thru their treatments when its within their control to change the path they're on simply by increasing their daily calories, taking in more water, or by getting a couple bags of extra fluids every few days. I suffered far more than I should have and it hurts my heart seeing anyone else follow that same path. Almost all OC patients struggle to take in the recommended daily minimums. Most of us are lucky to hit even 1500 calories a day. BUT!!!! Those patients who can come close or exceed the minimums are the ones who have an easier time of things. During rads its not only the no appetite that impacts patients intake... everything tastes horrible. For me everything I ate or drank tasted like it was burnt, even water! My throat was so sore and I had mouth sores which hurt so bad, even talking was agony. I have no doubt every single one of us patients puts a significant effort into trying to eat and drink. Patients with feeding tubes struggle just as much as those who dont have one. Usually the nausea and difficulty tolerating the different formulas is a relatively easy fix. Slowing down the intake speed and/or watering down the formula is what works for almost every patient. Other patients will need to try out a few different formulas before they find the right fit. [/quote]

You may notice I back you up every time you do ...or if I post first, I tell them someone cool will be along to post soon about all the things to do. This is WHY ... because you are RIGHT. laugh Actually, I'm not sure I could have taken in that total calorie count anyway, but I had other complications (my biography should just be titled "Complications" LOL) and it didn't happen. But it's GOOD to know what to aim for, because that information isn't available in other places, or not as clearly. This site saves lives, simple as that, and your advice, and Brian and Paul and all the other long-timers ... you save lives.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June