The things your husbands doing are much more unusual than any Ive seen discussed on our forum. The "everybodys different" is the only explanation I can think of. When I think of other members reporting their "chemo brain" moments its more of a problem remembering things they were doing. For example making mac and cheese and getting everything out to start making it, leaving everything right on the counter, walking away and going back to be before they finish it. Those are relatively harmless compared to packing work clothes and a knife. Not that it matters but the knife is pretty unusual as from what you've said it wouldnt be needed for his profession. At least it wasnt a gun!!!

Ive heard some patients doing wacky things who have had a reaction to the fentanyl patch. Is your husband on them? If so .... someone must check to see what hes been taking. Now that one wouldnt be very easy! Count the patches in the box and find the one he last put on... (my nurses used to write the date on new patches when they changed them) ... if hes on the patch this needs to be done. Im concerned hes having an adverse reaction --- with how he does NOT follow any instructions, that could be the culprit. Patients using the patch MUST follow any and all instructions to the letter. Fentanyl is the strongest pain medicine ever and is not anything to mess around with. The patch is also highly sensitive!!! Something as simple as taking hot showers of soaking in a hot bath can cause the patch to release too much of the medicine and can cause an overdose.

Others have done strange things after being hospitalized. Some of the things they have done are completely out of character, like yelling at the nurses and just being nasty to all the hospital staff. That was an older member who was having a very hard time going thru recovery and being malnourished so maybe his diet comes into play?

Ive done some goofy things myself immediately after having my first biopsies taken where I opted to be knocked out. On the way home after the procedure, I had my son go thru the Ritas Italian Ice drive thru and bought several of the quarts. That was pretty rational compared to insisting he stop at Kohls so I could go shopping. I went in, took a cart and went thru every dept looking at things then about a half hour later left my half full cart and went back out to the car and fell asleep. I don t have any recollection of those things and thanked my son for picking up Ritas quarts the next day. I thought he had don e this on his own and didnt remember a thing about going there or Kohls. We still have a goods laugh about my antics to this day. My situation was caused by the anesthesia I was given and not just my every day suffering at the end of finishing rads.

Hopefully your husband will come out of this in a few weeks after he begins to start feeling better. Id say 90-95% of all patients who have rads w/ chemo report the first 2-3 weeks after rads as the worst of it. Then one day they wake up and dont feel quite as crappy as the day before. Remember the radiation continues working even though the treatments have stopped. This could be whats behind his unusual behavior. If this continues Id suggest calling his doc next week. Im sure your husband has noi idea the things hes doing, at least I hope he doesnt!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma