Hi Cheryl and welcome to a new family who WILL support you. You can see from my signature that "we" are coming up on the 5 year anniversary from when John was diagnosed and started this battle. I say "we" because I really feel like it is/was "our" battle and not just his. I stay active on the message boards here as a way to give back to all the other caregivers going through this battle. I don't know what I would do without this wonderful, caring community. John also owns his own business and was never sick a day in his life before his cancer diagnosis. I was very thankful and lucky that this ordeal brought us closer and brought out a love in John for me that I never knew existed.

In my years on these boards there have been many caregivers who have been in similar situations such as yours. No matter what YOU need to take care of you. Being a caregiver can be a very tough and lonely job. We also had family members who just chose to check out and I choose to no longer have anything to do with them.

Like others have said you can't change your husband but you can change your reaction to him.

Just wanted to give you a BIG cyber hug and let you know we are here for you no matter what. Hugs, Wanda

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2