As far as studies go, the jury is still out on whether Erbitux as a single agent chemotherapy works at all, rash or no rash for the majority of HPV patients. Some doctors say it's because the HPV cancers react so well to radiation that the benefit of Erbitux doesn't show up against the comparison groups, other doctors say it's because Erbitux is not effective as a single agent, others say it's just luck of the draw that the negative studies had so many of the 5% for whom both side admit Erbitux is worthless. In a few years, we'll know the results from the current clinical trial testing Erbitux vs platinum. In the meantime, it's all just opinions.
My medical oncologist at the Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Center ( a CCC) will no longer administer Erbitux as a single agent due to the high rate of recurrence in his HPV patients whom he had used it. (myself included).
It's so frustrating and scary for patients and caregivers to have to deal with the multiplicity of opinions on Erbitux from doctors and not fair at all.
Lady1: I hope it turns out well for your husband and that he is an Erbitux success story.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 11-22-2012 08:15 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13