The mask fitting and the simulation weren't so bad, and it'll be better next time because the mask is already made, and they won't have to stick me any more. My veins are hard to find, and it took three tries to get the contrast dye into me. I'm getting a cath port installed on Thursday, same time as the feeding tube, so I won't be stuck from here on.

I didn't lose a lot of my tongue to surgery, so there hasn't been and I suspect won't be any reconstruction. I only lost a 1.8 cm thick sliver off the side (6 cm long and 3 cm high). Margins were clear on all sides to 0.4-0.5 cm. My tongue is a little short, I can't lick the outside of my teeth very well. My swallowing isn't effected and my speech is effected more by the lost teeth than by the lost portion of my tongue. I feel very lucky, when I hear how little tongue some of you guys are living with. Or I will, so long as it doesn't recur because such a conservative amount was taken. Only time will tell.

-Ben-
Diag 12/21/11
T3N2bMX
Surg 1/17
5cm tumor left tongue pos. L tonsil neg. 17 l. neck lymph nodes, 2 pos w/extranodal excursion. 4 teeth neg
Tongue spec 5.9x3x1.8cm. Margins clear to 0.4-0.5 cm
2/20-3/27 27 radiation, 2/20-4/12 3 chemo.
Non HPV, lifetime tobacco, drugs, alcohol teetotaler