Ben,
I didn't find this forum/site until well after my treatments had been completed. I wish I had, because it really would have helped when I was going through it all. That said, I wouldn't have done things differently than I did even without the information that is given here, but I have been one of the lucky ones. My dentist, oral surgeon, and ENT were very experienced in the treatment of oral cancer. I did go through the staging and everything that is reccomended here, so even though my cancer center is relatvely small compared with some of the others, I feel that my treatments were right on the money. I have heard many horror stories, however, of other patients who have not had the same care that I have.
Please keep an open mind, Ben, and even if you like your current docs, make sure that they are not afraid to refer you to some place else if need be. The people here all want what is best for you.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.