That's a good question, isn't it?

Last night, I saw a 91 year old woman who had tongue cancer a little less than 50 years ago. No we weren't at any oral cancer gathering. Hers was small like mine was but she did not have lymph nodal involvement. But she had radiation anyway because she did not want her tongue cut! So she had both external beam and the kind they put in your mouth--brachytherapy, I think. She looked pretty good I thought.
My daughter's father-in-law told me he has known a woman who had oral cancer and rather severe surgery for it 30 years ago, and she is still around, now in her 60's.

Anytime you add nodal involvement you add more risk.

Do you know for certain that you have three lymph nodes involved? Sorry, at first I thought you did not have a neck dissection, but see now you did. I guess you have the final report on that?

You can find various scientific studies which will give you different percentages. I have my own opinion but hesitate to give it to anyone! My ENT seems to feel my prognosis is very good, but I did not ask him what you are asking.

Sorry--this is probably not too helpful.
Best,
Anne

Last edited by AnneO; 01-28-2012 04:19 PM. Reason: neck dissection

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021