Ben,

Trust me when I tell you, I understand. I live in a small town in BFE Idaho and went to a local ENT when I was diagnosed with very late stage Oral Cancer, my primary tumor was the size of the right side of my face. My ENT took it upon himself to send my case to the University of WA (#6 in cancer care in the U.S.) to get another opinion to "ensure" I had the best chance to live. Not only did he inform me of my options, he took that extra step because he knew how bad my odds were.

Had he not done that and went off of NCCN standard of care treatment, I'd be dead right now. The UW identified issues that my Dr (who has a really good pedigree if you will) couldn't know due to their experience.

What you should see as a recurring theme here are all of the posters sharing with you how many friends we've lost due to this disease. The outcries of "Get the Second!!!" is really our plea to you to just take that extra step because we've witnessed it too many times and experienced those losses. It's the history even a person like Cheryl, who's only been here about a year has seen too many times and we stress it because we actually give a damn.

We've also witnessed the arrogance and neglect of Dr's and due to that we've lost friends, some of us family. Often, as you'll realize when some people get a few degrees associated with their name, it goes to their head. For those of us who've been blessed to have fantastic Dr's who take it upon themselves to make sure their patients are properly educated to make life and death decisions and even take it upon themselves to get a second opinion for their patients...we get appalled and question the care (as we should) when we see that not happening for the patient.

So it's because we care bro. That's it. This ride just get's worse too as it progresses so we want you to prepare for that and support you right through this hell to the other side.

Anyway Ben, best of luck to you man, plug in or ask questions and we'll try to relate and support.

Keep your chin up man, you've got a fight ahead of you.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 02-02-2012 01:06 AM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.