I have the opposite situation as you caregivers on here. I am the patient and my two caregivers, my daughter and granddaughter, are both RN's. They have completely discouraged me from being on this forum from the beginning. They just say "Everybody is different. Just listen to your doctors."

They are completely wrong. My doctors may know what the books say about cancer, but they don't have a clue what it's like to really have it. If I hadn't come on here and found out about the "mask", I would have completely freaked when I got to the radiolist's office. When I got my feeding tube, they just stuck it in and sent me home. No instructions. I learned it all on here. When I complained about the pain I was having to FOUR doctors, they just dismissed me saying a little pain was normal. It was the members on here that said, no, it shouldn't hurt that much and I should get an x-ray and lo and behold the tube was out of my stomach and in my abdomen. Who know how long I would have walked around with that pain if not for this forum.

My caregivers have since quit telling me not to come on here, but they still don't want a part of it. They will, however, listen to my concerns about something I've learned here and then they will ask my doctor about it, as if she knows. I only have an Oncologist now and she is doing what she feels is best, but she still doesn't really know what it's like to have cancer. And she has had to adjust and delay my chemo every single time so far, so her book recommendations aren't working on me. I'm still a believer in everyone is different, but I feel way more connected with fellow cancer people than with learn by the book people.

BOT-SCC Partial glossectomy 7/16/09.
Stage IV, Rt ND 10/2/09.
Teeth out 11/5/09.
Port/peg in, 11/20/09.
7 wks rad & chemo, end 1/22/10
lung, colon biopsies 1/9/11 - both cancer
colon resect surg 1/10/11
Folfox + Avastin - discontinued 6/11
lung surgery 3/13/12, 5/1/12
mets to liver and bones
passed away 9/4/13